Introduction to Public.com
Public.com is an investment app that aims to make investing in the stock market more accessible to everyone. Launched in 2019, the app allows investors to buy and sell individual stocks and ETFs with zero commission fees.
One of the unique features of Public.com is its social investing platform, which allows users to share their investments and follow other investors. Users can see what stocks other users are buying and selling, as well as engage in discussions about market trends and investing strategies.
Public.com is a social investing platform that allows users to invest in fractional shares of publicly traded companies. The platform also provides users with the ability to track their portfolios, set up alerts, and receive real-time market data. Public.com also has a community feature that allows users to connect with other investors and discuss investment strategies.
Public.com also provides educational resources for users, including articles, podcasts, and videos to help users learn more about investing. Additionally, the app offers fractional investing, which allows investors to buy and sell fractional shares of stocks and ETFs.
The Pros of Using Public.com
Public.com offers several advantages to investors, including the following:
- Zero commission fees: One of the biggest advantages of Public.com is that it does not charge any commission fees for buying and selling individual stocks and ETFs. This can save investors a significant amount of money compared to other investing platforms that charge commissions.
- Fractional investing: Public.com allows investors to buy and sell fractional shares of stocks and ETFs. This means that investors can invest in companies and ETFs with high stock prices without having to purchase a full share.
- Social investing: Public.com’s social investing feature allows users to follow other investors and see what they are buying and selling. This can be a helpful tool for learning about investing and getting ideas for new investments.
- Educational resources: Public.com provides users with a range of educational resources, including articles, podcasts, and videos. This can help users learn more about investing and make more informed investment decisions.
- User-friendly platform: Public.com is designed to be user-friendly, with a clean interface and intuitive navigation. This can make it easy for new investors to get started with investing.
- Regulated and insured: Public.com is a member of FINRA (Financial Industry Regulatory Authority) and SIPC (Securities Investor Protection Corporation). This means that investors’ securities are protected in the event of broker-dealer failure.
Overall, Public.com is a good option for investors who want a user-friendly platform with zero commission fees and fractional investing. The social investing feature and educational resources can also be valuable tools for new investors.
The Cons of Using Public.com
While Public.com offers many benefits to investors, there are also some potential downsides to consider. Here are some of the cons of using Public.com:
- Limited investment options: While Public.com allows investors to buy and sell individual stocks and ETFs, it does not offer mutual funds, bonds, or options. This can be a disadvantage for investors who prefer a more diverse investment portfolio.
- Limited research tools: Public.com does not offer as many research tools as other investing platforms. While users can access educational resources and engage in discussions with other investors, they may need to look elsewhere for in-depth market analysis and company research.
- Social investing may lead to FOMO: While the social investing feature can be a helpful tool for learning and connecting with other investors, it can also lead to FOMO (fear of missing out) and impulsive investing decisions.
- No tax-loss harvesting: Public.com does not offer tax-loss harvesting, which is a common feature on many investing platforms. This can be a disadvantage for investors who want to minimize their tax liability.
- Limited customer support: Public.com currently only offers customer support via email, which can be slower than other platforms that offer live chat or phone support.
Should You Use Public.com?
Whether or not you should use Public.com will depend on your individual investing goals and preferences. Here are some factors to consider when deciding if Public.com is right for you:
- Investment style: Public.com is primarily designed for individual stock and ETF investing. If you are looking for a platform that offers a wider range of investment options, such as mutual funds or bonds, Public.com may not be the best fit.
- Fees: Public.com does not charge any commission fees for buying and selling individual stocks and ETFs. This can be a significant cost savings for investors, especially for those who trade frequently.
- Social investing: Public.com’s social investing feature allows users to see what other investors are buying and selling. This can be a helpful tool for learning about investing and getting ideas for new investments.
- Educational resources: Public.com provides users with a range of educational resources, including articles, podcasts, and videos. This can be a valuable tool for new investors who are looking to learn more about investing.
- Customer support: Public.com currently only offers customer support via email, which may not be as responsive as live chat or phone support.
- Tax-loss harvesting: Public.com does not offer tax-loss harvesting, which may be a disadvantage for investors who want to minimize their tax liability.
Overall, Public.com can be a good option for investors who are looking for a user-friendly platform with zero commission fees and fractional investing. The social investing feature and educational resources can also be valuable tools for new investors. However, it may not be the best fit for investors who are looking for a wider range of investment options or more in-depth research tools.
Alternatives to Public.com
There are a number of alternatives to Public.com for investing platforms. Some of the most popular options include:
1. Robinhood: Robinhood is a commission-free stock trading platform that has gained immense popularity in recent years. It offers a user-friendly interface and mobile app, making it a great choice for novice investors.
2. Acorns: Acorns is an investment platform that allows users to invest their spare change from everyday purchases into a diversified portfolio of ETFs. It’s a great option for those who want to get started with investing without having to commit a lot of money upfront.
3. Stash: Stash is an investing platform geared towards beginners. It offers simple, straightforward investment options and has a user-friendly interface. One downside is that it charges $1 per month for accounts with less than $5,000 invested.
4. Wealthfront: Wealthfront is another popular robo-advisor that offers low-cost investing options and automated portfolio management. It’s ideal for those who want hands-off approach to investing and don’t mind paying slightly higher fees than some of the other platforms on this list.
5. Betterment: Betterment is one of the original robo-advisors and offers features like tax loss harvesting and automatic rebalancing. It has fairly high fees compared to some of the other options on this list, but also offers a wide range of investment options and provides a user-friendly platform for both new and experienced investors. Additionally, Betterment’s goal-based investing approach helps investors tailor their portfolios to their specific investment goals, which can be a valuable tool for those who are new to investing or looking to simplify their investment strategy. Overall, while Betterment may not be the most cost-effective option for investors, it can be a good fit for those who value a range of investment options and a goal-based investing approach.
As you can see, Public.com is a great platform to use when investing in the stock market. It offers easy-to-use tools, low fees and commissions, as well as educational resources for new investors. With its social media integration, it allows users to discuss investments with others on the platform and get advice from more experienced investors. However, it’s important to remember that with any type of investment there are risks involved; make sure you do your own research before deciding if this is the right platform for you!
Author：Com21.com，This article is an original creation by Com21.com. If you wish to repost or share, please include an attribution to the source and provide a link to the original article.Post Link：https://www.com21.com/public-com-investing.html